Here’s what some couples say are major issues to deal with in marriage, according to a Life Innovations survey of 21,501 married couples from every state.
- Problems sharing leadership
- One partner is too stubborn
- Stress created by child-rearing differences
- One partner is too negative or critical
- One partner wishes the other had more time
- One partner wishes the other was more willing to share their feelings
- Feeling responsible for issues
- Avoiding conflict with partner
- Difficulty completing tasks
- Differences never get resolved
Building a healthy marriage means that you have learned to turn your stumbling blocks into stepping stones. Build on your strengths and find ways to creatively address your differences. Conflict management/resolution skills are crucial.
In strong marriages, both partners say:
- their partner understands their positions,
- they feel free to share their feelings and ideas,
- they take disagreements seriously, and
- they work cooperatively to resolve conflicts.
The happiest couples said they were satisfied with the way they communicate, find it easy to express their feelings and find their partner to be a good listener. They note that their partner doesn’t use put-downs.
***If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, contact the National Hotline for Domestic Abuse. At this link, you can access a private chat with someone who can help you 24/7. If you fear your computer or device is being monitored, call the hotline 24/7 at: 1−800−799−7233. For a clear understanding of what defines an abusive relationship, click here.***
Tired of the so-so communication in your marriage?
Check out this hefty DIGITAL E-BOOK by Marriage Researchers & Therapists
Inside, you’ll find:
- How and why you and your spouse communicate differently, and what to do about it
- 5 proven listening techniques that will pump up the intimacy in your relationship
- 4 ways to start and end difficult conversations well
- 5 ways you may be hindering communication with your spouse without realizing it
- AND MORE!
PLUS! Every section has an easy, no-stress discussion guide created for you and your partner to build the communication you want in your marriage.