Can we take a moment and just let out a big sigh? This COVID-19 pandemic has been and still is a time of palpable stress and uncertainty. Despite not knowing what is to come, we can rest and lean into what we know to be helpful in overwhelming times like this. Take it one day at a time.
And who says one day can’t be a spa day?
Here is an invitation to slow down, dirty some more dishes and have some sweet, intentional time with your daughter.
Since many places are closed, I want to help you set up a spa in your home and make it feel like a special mother-daughter date!
Here’s what you’ll need to do for your spa date:
- Invite your daughter by writing her an invitation!
- Put on some cute PJs or let her wear your robe if you have one.
- Grab some ponytails or headbands to hold your hair back.
- Play some of your daughter’s favorite tunes to relax or dance to!
- Gather ingredients for face mask/scrub. (options listed below)
- Slice a cucumber for your eyes while wearing the masks if you’re feeling fancy!
- Make a list of questions to ask your girly while you’re making the scrub or mask! (found below).
Some Conversation Starters for Your Spa Date:
- What’s your favorite thing to do?
- Why do you like doing that?
- What makes you happy?
- Do you know how much I love you? (Give her some reasons why!)
- What makes someone a good mom?
- Is there someone you look up to?
- What do you like to talk about?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Is there anything you’re afraid of? (Figure out why and ways to face it together!)
- What does it mean to be beautiful?
- What do you want to do for our next mother-daughter time?
Don’t be afraid to make a little mess—I’m sure you’re used to it by now, but encourage your girly to help with the process and mix the ingredients. I would even suggest putting the face masks on each other if you choose to make a mask.
If you want to make a scrub, here are two options:
Coffee Body Scrub
- 1 cup ground coffee (organic or regular will work)
- 1 cup sugar or salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Melt coconut oil and allow it to cool but not solidify.
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or mason jar.
- Use 1-2 times a week (or every day if you like).
Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub
- ½ cup of granulated sugar (just plain white sugar, the kind you have in your pantry). If you have cane or brown sugar, it will also do the trick!
- ¼ cup pure unrefined coconut oil
- Optional: add in the essential oil of your choice
- In a bowl, mix the two together completely.
- Put into a container for use; you will feel so soft!
Here are two options if you want to make a face mask:
Oatmeal Mask with Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of oatmeal.
- Measure ¼ cup warm water into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and stir until completely melted.
- Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of oatmeal.
- Stir until the ingredients have formed a paste.
- Apply to face and let it set for 15 minutes and then massage it into your face in circular motions and let it sit for another 5 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Oatmeal and Yogurt Mask
- Cooked (not dry) oatmeal (½ cup boiling water, ⅓ cup oatmeal)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 egg white
- In a mixing bowl, combine water and oatmeal and stir it together
- Let the mixture sit for two minutes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients until the yogurt, honey, and egg white are completely dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool if it’s still hot to the touch.
- Apply to face and let it set for 15 minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water and end with a splash of cold water to close the pores.
*The oatmeal may clog the drain, so putting down a strainer could be helpful with cleanup!
I know this time at home balancing being a parent, employee, teacher, and gatekeeper is exhausting. However, I think we’d all be sad if we didn’t take some of this extra time we have been gifted and spend it intentionally with our loved ones.
We have the opportunity to make the mundane memorable. So let’s do it! We’d love to see pictures of you and your girly hanging out. Please tag us @firstthingsfamily if you post! <3