November 12, 2021
top trending topics
tips & tricks for growth
DADS! Do you do these 10 things?
We live in a society that often downplays and minimizes the role that fathers play in the lives of their children. Mothers are often viewed as a child’s “primary caregiver” and dads are relegated to the sidelines. Sadly, many mothers reinforce this idea in a number of ways, and sadder still, many fathers go right along with it. Not good.
This idea flies in the face of what all the current science and research says about the importance of fathers from a child’s birth onward. Dads matter. In fact, they often provide things that mom can’t provide.
There are 10 specific things that every dad can do to guide his child to be a successful adult. Check out what they are in our FREE E-book 👇
conversation starters for kids and parents
There is so much opportunity to have fun conversations with your kids if you start with the right questions. We have learned from experience not to ask questions with one-word answers. Open-ended questions are where it’s at.
Here are Some of Our Favorite Conversation Starters for Kids and Parents:
For check-ins and deeper conversations:
- What is the most fascinating thing you learned today?
- What is your favorite part about today?
- Who did you eat lunch with? Or play on the playground with?
- What is the oddest thing you did today?
- What’s a new experience you had this week?
- What is something you have recently done that you are proud of?
For mealtime or drivetime:
- If you could only eat one fruit for the rest of your life, which would you pick and why?
- Would you rather live in an igloo or a treehouse?
- Would you rather be able to walk on the moon or breathe underwater?
- What’s something new you’d like to try this year?
- What’s your favorite memory of the last year?
- If you could go back in time and change your name, what would you choose?
- What do you think the clouds feel like?
- What’s your favorite color in the rainbow?
- What’s the best thing about being the exact age you are right now?
- If you were deep-sea diving, which creatures would you like to see?
- What’s your favorite thing to do when it’s raining?
- If you could fly, where would you go?
- If you had one superpower, what would it be?
- Who would you like to get a letter from?
- What do you most wonder about the future?
- If you could hang out with anyone in history, who would it be? And what would you do?
Remember, these conversation starters can help you lay the foundation for the more challenging conversations that are coming. If your kids can rely on you to answer the crazy questions, they’ll be more willing to ask the challenging ones. Have fun and be ready to laugh a lot!
what we’re lovin’
This week’s picks come from Tamara Slocum, our Creative Strategist. She’s been married to her college sweetheart, Bobby, since 2012 and together they have 3 amazing girls (5 yrs old and under!) Whew. 😅 She’s got her hands full and still took the time to give her recommendations because they are just THAT GOOD. Check ’em out:
📲 These are the 20 Best Respectful Parenting Hacks from TikTok influencer Rachel Rogers! I started following her a few months ago and I’m obsessed. I implement these with my own 3 girls on a daily basis and I can honestly say they work.
📗 How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids by Jancee Dunn tackles the inevitable fury that mamas often experience toward their spouses after kids come into the picture (and the ways you can improve your relationship, finding an ally in your husband instead of an adversary)! After reading this, wow, I felt totally seen. In fact, here’s an interview of my biggest takeaways from the book!
😂 Weird Things Pregnant Couples Do is one of my fav Buzzfeed videos that very accurately (and hilariously) depicts all the unexpected things that happen when you get pregnant. 10/10 recommend for a good laugh!
share the love
Know a friend who would love reading all the relationship goodness we’ve packed in here? Go ahead and share it with them!