Tips for Cutting the Apron Strings
When you marry, your mother is no longer your first priority; your wife now assumes that position.
- Avoid entertaining criticism of your wife by your mother.
- When you and your wife make decisions, present your decisions as a united front. You need to tell your mother about the decision and avoid making it sound like it was your wife’s decision and you went along with it to avoid rocking the boat.
- Never, ever commit to something with your mother, like bringing her to live with you, without first discussing it with your wife.
- Abstain from discussing issues within your marriage with your mother unless you have the express consent of your bride.
- When you were single, it may have seemed appropriate to turn to your mother or parents for emotional support. Now, your wife becomes that support system.
Copyright © 2016 First Things First | Designed and Developed by Whiteboard